background

Monday, June 13, 2011

Sewing up some Market totes with iron on transfer "Vintage French labels"

Hi all
I have found this wonderful site called *The Graphics Fairy* I have put the link in my side bar, you should really go have a look. : )

Ok, So I have seen these Frenchy looking market shopper bags all over the place, but have not been able to afford one, ( We are saving for a bond for a little rental cottage, That means no full time travel for a while, but I will still have plenty of Adventures to write about I am sure)
Anyways... I thought I could make one. I have this drop cloth fabric (the type you use when your painting)
It has a plastic back, so I thought it would make a good market tote. I then went searching for frenchy style labels to print onto iron on transfer paper. That's when I came across *The Graphics Fairy* she not only has vintage labels but ***well almost anything you could imagine to print out for all types of projects and also has tutorials ..what more could you ask for ...mmm can you tell I am a little excited about this.; )

So, this is what I did to make my French style Market Tote.....
I Printed out ( in mirror image on iron on transfer paper, I got from office works.) The frenchy word label, then I ironed it on to the front of the bag that I had already cut out.

                         
I then cut out the back of the bag and some handles. I also had to cut 3 strips of fabric to fold over the hems, because this fabric is plastic backed and my machine finds it sticky.  
First I folded and sewed together the strip of fabric for the handle.
I then pinned the strips of fabric to the edge of each side of the bag and sewed this all together.
Then the same for the bottom edge hem.
Now its all together I fold the bottom corners and sew straight across to give it a flat bottom.
Now I folded the top hem over ( I was to lazy to get my over locker out so I just used my pinking shears Ziggy to stop any fraying)
I pinned the handles where I wanted them and went around the top hem twice to add strength.
And that's it... Here is my new chic frenchy market tote. I think it turned out alright for a first attempt.
I went back and printed another out, But Bugga Bugga my printer is running out of ink mmm.
Oh well no use wasting the print, so I made another bag, This time on a softer fabric.
All ironed on and ready to sew.
sewn but missing something I think..
Hmmm Ooh yea another of my shabby flowers.
 Ok so that's all finished to.
This first one is still my fave, Now I just have to get more ink for the printer and I can try some different vintage Frenchy labels.
Until next Adventure
Take Care
Kris xx
Go and check them out..

9 comments:

  1. WOW I love them ,,these bags look great.
    keep up the great creations,love ya Mammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This is great...if only more people in South Africa would make and USE these....we wouldn't have so much pollution in our country.
    It's such a great idea and yours is perfection!
    Thank you.
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I'm your newest follower...please won't you do the same for me!
    Shel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Shel
    I have been over on your site and am now a follower, your recipe looks great I will be trying that for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tutorial! I love how some stores give you a discount for using these bags:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great totes! Love the design. Thanks for sharing the tutorial at Beach Cottage Good Life Wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have all of the materials to make one of these chic bags--I recently did Graphics Fairy image pillow(s)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous bags , I love the graphics fairy! Im looking forward to reading your future posts , your blog is a pleasure to read xx

    ReplyDelete