background

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Shabby Kitchen table gets some loven ;)


Hello hello,, hope all is well in your world, Come and have a look at this :)
Have you ever been in love with a piece of furniture????
Well I have,, "am",,
We got this shabby old farm house table from a garage sale last weekend
As soon as hubby bought it in I fell in love....
                                           It had chippy paint and wobbly legs and was filthy,, but ya know when you can just see beyond that....
at first I was going to sand the top right back to bare wood and just give the legs a splash with the white paint.... but then....

as hubby started pulling her apart to repair....

the chippy and splodged paint started to grow on me.... well it was more than that ,, I just couldn't get past the character and what stories would be behind each scuff mark and dent...
the shape of the legs got me even more excited and I did a little happy dance when she was turned over to reveal the way she was held together,, oh yeah she had some age to her....
she got a good scrub with detol a bit of a tickle with the sander and wire brush to get all her flaky bits off.
and then it was a splash of clear lacquer to give a little luster back to her life and to seal her splodged paint work...
and she was moved into her new home...smack bang in the middle of the kitchen :)
at first I thought OH NO she is to big,, but after hubby and I walked around her ,, getting into cupboards and the like we decided she was the perfect size....

all cupboards,, the fridge and oven can open ,, we have plenty of room to move around .. ooh yeah I have an eat in kitchen with a shabby old farm house kitchen table ;))....

excited much hehe,, I have a place to sit and make up my weekly menu, flick through those cook books
and read my fave back to basics and simple living books and to just dance around and make it look pretty..
Hubby and I had tea sitting at our shabby old farm table in our shabby old kitchen and you know what,,,, the meal tasted better and hubby was in easy reach of the fridge for his Jam on fresh bread he likes to have after his meal ;)
( I got these chairs months ago for $2 each at an op-shop, still deciding what colour to paint them )

she is sanded one side more than the other,, but I think it makes her look like she has always been right here... I tend to do a lot more preparing on this side of the table and this is where I have been sitting while tea is cooking,, so its only natural that she would be worn more on this side ( well this is my story and I'm sticking to it hehe)....
 
Linking up with
 
 
well my lovelies that's it from me today,, I have my sister flying in on monday and staying for a week for a little country cottage retreat time ;))
Hope you all have a great weekend and I will catch up with you soon.
Until next adventure
Take care
Kris
XXXX

7 comments:

  1. Kris-What a GREAT old table! I love it just as it is and I think you did a wonderful job leaving it as is and just using poly on the top. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Teen! Brilliant! Beautiful as always, You inspire me, can you please come and help me with my house!!!! Jaexxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh!!! I love your kitchen......
    I have that book too!!! ;O)
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh thank you for popping over Tania, she is a shabby old wobbly kitchen but yes,, a little lovable ;)...I Love this book x Kris x

      Delete
  4. Such a great find and I it definitely belongs in your fabulous kitchen (totally agree with Tanya above!)... so lovely and vintage! Rachael x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachael, It certainly has made its self at home ;)
      Kris x

      Delete
  5. Love this table...it's full of character....and I think it looks like the perfect size :)

    ReplyDelete