background

Monday, October 29, 2012

A little cottage meat loaf recipe and stuff ;)


Hi,, I'm here again..
Back in story telling mode..back sharing my life here at the cottage. Hope you can join me x
Come on over,,,,Just in these doors, in the back of Avondale cottage
is the cottage kitchen window,
There has been a little baking, a little cooking and a whole lot of mess going on in here, ( that's not the meat loaf cooling on the bench ,,, nope, that's banana bread ( more about that in another post ;))
Have you got comfort food?, food that means more to you than just filling your belly?..
I have.. This meat loaf in BBQ sauce, it was my mums recipe,
the smell of this cooking brings back some wonderful memories of long ago Home..That kind of comfort food, you know,,the stuff memories are made of....and ooh,, then the next day at school,, I would open my lunch box to this wonderful smell of meat loaf sandwiches :),,, Bliss.....
I wish I had taken some fancy photos of this being made, but well,, I just wasn't thinking I was going to blog about it,, But ya know its just to good not to share this wonderful recipe,,, so here it is on my plate just before I gobbled it up..
Real food, in the real world ,yes,,the real cottage messy way ;) So here it is...Served in all its glory with steamed veg...
Meat loaf in BBQ sauce
500g mince meat                                                           1 egg ( lightly beaten)
500g sausage meat                                                        salt & pepper
1 cup breadcrumbs                                                        1/2 cup milk
2 onions (diced)                                                             1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons Curry powder                                           1 tbs chopped parsley

Combine sausage meat and mince, breadcrumbs, diced onions, curry powder, salt and pepper, parsley and lightly beaten egg in a bowl, mix until well combined,, Gradually add milk and water,, continue mixing until very smooth. shape into (greased) loaf pan and bake in mod oven for 30mins... remove meat loaf from oven and pour off the fat.....

Make Sauce....
1/2 cup of water                                   1/4 cup of brown sugar
1/2 cup of tomato sauce                     2 tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup of Worcester sauce                1 teaspoon of instant coffee powder
2 tbs vinegar                                         30g butter ( Melted)

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes... pour over meatloaf, return to oven to bake a further 45mins, basting with sauce every now and then ;)

( My loaf pan was not big enough to fit sauce in as well as meat loaf so I transferred it all to a small baking dish,, this works just as well... keep basting to keep the meat loaf moist as well as the flavour going through it )

Hope you enjoy it as much as I do,, and remember its also lovely the next day on sangas xxx
Cheers my lovelies,, hope your week is bright and sparkly ****
Until next adventure
Take care
xx Kris xx

3 comments:

  1. Hi Kris,
    Thank you for posting this recipe,I remember Mum making it for us,it was so yummy hey :)
    I want to make it now lol,

    Hope you have a great week,
    Love you Sis xox
    Mammie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might just have to give this recipe a whirl Kris :)
    Glad to see you back in blogland!
    Cas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cas, it's a tasty one :) , Thanks so much lovely I'm glad to be back xx

      Delete